There are many reasons why your teeth are no longer as white as they used to be. Some of those reasons could be:
– Drinks: Coffee, tea, and red wine are beverages that tend to stain your teeth and take the whiteness away from your smile. They have chromogens, which are also known as intense color pigments, that attach to the white, outer shell of your teeth, causing discoloration.
– Tobacco Use: There are two main chemicals in tobacco that cause tooth stains. Those chemicals are tar and nicotine. Tar is naturally dark and nicotine is colorless unless it’s mixed with oxygen. Then, it turns into a surface-staining substance that makes the teeth yellow.
– Age: Below the white, tough shell of your teeth (which is also called enamel) is a softer area called dentin. Dentin is naturally yellow. Over time, your enamel will wear away, exposing the dentin underneath. As you age, your smile will turn more and more yellow.
– Trauma: Trauma can cause a yellowing smile because when the teeth are injured, they tend to protect themselves by growing additional dentin. This will cause a dull appearance.
– Medications: Tooth darkening is a common side effect of many medications. Some of the medications that are associated with tooth discoloration include antihistamines, antipsychotics, high blood pressure medication, chemotherapy, and radiation.
If your smile’s color has changed because of beverages, tobacco use, age, trauma, or medications, it’s time to start thinking about teeth-whitening treatments in Bryan, Texas. Teeth-whitening treatments are great options if you want a bright and brilliant smile in no time. So, if you’re interested in whitening your teeth, please call 979-776-6600 today and schedule an appointment with your dentist, Dr. Chuck Majors. Our MajorSmiles team is here to help you in any way we can, and we look forward to giving you the radiant smile you’ve always wanted!